This topic has been heavy on my heart and mind lately. It sometimes seems that people assume that because I am single, I am lonely. Singleness itself does not define loneliness. I know many single people have many friends and family in their life. However, it is not the quantity, but the quality of the interactions that I find my personal longing to be for. I would prefer 1 meaningful conversation with 1 or 2 other people, over 10 hectic group social interactions.
One of the struggles with being single can sometimes be lack
of connection. There may be no one to eat dinner with or no one to go on random
fun events with. Sure, friends can be
asked, but schedules and interests do not always match up. Feeling lonely can
lead to the trap of self-pity. I have been guilty of this myself. Again, it is
not necessarily a relationship longing, but a longing for deeper connection
with the world around me. Several weeks ago, I lamented that in a world so full
of wires, I feel so disconnected at times.
I know that these things are not only occurring in the life
of those who are single. Those in different stages of relationships may feel
the same things. I think I have just
been pondering this topic lately, in hopes of processing my emotions. I don’t even begin to pretend to have the
answers to this dilemma. For me, I know I need to do a better job of being
attuned to my emotions, and being aware of what social avenues are most
life-giving to me.
There is a quote that the movie Elizabeth: The Golden Age
ends with, and I find it rather poignant to describe the life of
singleness. “God give me strength to
bear this mighty freedom.”

2 comments:
Liz, so much of this speaks to my experience as well. Especially now that I've moved somewhere and am having to build new relationships. Sometimes I just want to jump ahead in time where I have deep, meaningful relationships. Finding friends is hard. :)
Thanks for your comment. I will be praying for you during your time of transition!
Post a Comment