Yesterday I went with Molly and 2 other people to a genocide memorial at a church outside of Kigali (I still am trying to figure out which direction is which--I think it was North...)
It was very difficult to hear the stories and see the items (including human remains) in the memorial service, but I believe important to know, as I am living in a country where this has happened and interacting with people how this has affected.
I posted a full album on my facebook, as pictures are quicker to upload there.

2 comments:
Liz! Glad to hear you made it to Rwanda safely and are settling in. During my first few days in Kenya, I went back and forth between thoughts of "this is so COOL" to "what was I THINKING when I decided to come live here?!" I can promise that as time goes on, the second thought goes away : )
The genocide memorial sounds heavy, but I think you're absolutely right that it's important to see. It's much more comfortable not to think about how horrible human beings can be to one another, but I think the only way we can emotionally heal and prevent it from happening again is to confront it, no matter how painful. With that said, I hope you're managing to have some fun, as well!
Warm wishes from Kenya,
Sarah B-B
Thanks Sarah for your encouragement!
Very well said on the genocide memorial.
How much longer are you in Kenya for??
Post a Comment