Search & Win

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Resistance and Resurfacing

We now return to our regular programming…with one quick commercial—I sent out my first e-newsletter last night and if you didn’t get but would like to get, please let me know and I will add you (there were also several email addresses that bounced back, so this could be another possible cause).

If you are just tuning in, I suggest you scroll down to the bottom and start to the beginning for this all to make the most sense.

So, we left off on this story, I felt the initial leading from God and had subsequent dreams. And than I decided, much as 2 year old might, to put my fingers in my ears and pretend I couldn’t hear anything. It was full on resistance. Why would I want to leave my family and friends, my job—life as I knew it? Was I strong enough to move across the world? What about finances? What about…what about what about…my head was filled with so many questions.

So God gave me space. 3 months of space! Looking back now I see I needed that time to be prepared to accept this call, and for it to be seasoned within me. Would it have been a lot easier to say ‘Yes’ right than, right there. Of course! I am only human and I thank God for being patient with me.

In June, I was up in Nebraska at Great Plains Yearly Meeting (a yearly meeting is an annual gathering of members of those that fall within certain geographical areas of meetings/churches).

So there I was up in Nebraska, having a good old time worshipping and fellowshipping. While we sang the hymn ‘Here I am Lord,’ God gave a little nudge to remind me of what he was calling me to do. I don’t remember having much of a reaction to that moment, I think I was still trying to absorb that the calling had resurfaced.

When I returned from Nebraska, I began talking to a few people from my church and let it be known I was ready for a clearness committee—another Quaker term—which is a Quaker process for discernment to help reach clarity, for in this instance, on where God is leading.

I met with my clearness committee and after meeting for over an hour; they felt released that I should submit my application to Evangelical Friends Missions for the 2 year teaching position to Rwanda. Since that time it has been a whirlwind of paperwork, phone calls, an interview with the person who just returned from this position, some testing….

..and on September 5th I was accepted! I am so very humbled to have received this calling and I pray daily to be able to live up to what God is calling me to do.

I want to close tonight with two more excerpts from my journal. The first I wrote shortly after returning from Nebraska, and the second little snippet I wrote a few weeks ago, its not really related to this story but I wanted to share it, because God is good!

6/14/08
I look out my window and see endless life-the green of the trees and the birds chirping. God’s presence can’t be missed. God is good…beyond all measure there is goodness we don’t even begin to understand.

Discernment. Trusting God. Trust and obey..for there’s no better way!

Sometimes trying to center my racing thoughts can be challenging…to focus beyond myself. To listen for that still, small voice.

The wind whips through the trees stirring them to action. Am I being stirred to action?


9/21/08
I woke up this morning an hour earlier than my alarm, with a very strong sense that someone was praying for me. What an amazing way to wake up.

--Thanks for reading this. From this point it will be updates on progress, and how I am progressing spiritually while on this journey.

Blessings,
Liz

1 comment:

Charity said...

Hey, I missed the sign-up sheets for being a prayer partner at Institute! Sign me up for your email newsletter. rcsandstrom@sbcglobal.net