Search & Win

Sunday, September 21, 2008

God is Calling...will Liz pick up please?

**Note: I recommend starting at the bottom of this blog-so you can read the posts in chronological order, so the posts make sense—it’s a story! J

I have time to update my blog this morning, as I was wakened an hour before my alarm. Before I could even see my clock read 6:59, when I woke I had this very strong sense that someone was praying for me. Wow. What a feeling to wake up to! God is good!

Since some of you may not have met me in person yet, I wanted to post a picture....but I'm still trying to find a decent one on my computer of me--a more recent one. I have some pictures at the store waiting to be picked up, so here's hoping I get a decent one in that batch.

For now I will post a funny picture, you can't see my face well, but those of you that know me know that I can be a bit...silly at times. This is at the keeper of the plains bridge here in town, and this plaque reads "Circle of Life" and this is my impression of the Lion King--holding up a pretend baby simba and singing...





Today I’m going to start the series of telling how I was called to Rwanda and my discernment process. For this post I am going to rely on what I wrote in my journal.

3/7/08 Journal Entry:
About two weeks ago, I received an email from Evangelical Friends Missions regarding the need for a short term missionary (to be teachers of missionaries children). When I read this email, I had a physical reaction—my body almost shuddered (I am still not sure what word to describe the reaction my body had). I argued with myself about it saying it would be so impractical-I just got a new job, have student loan payments etc. The lights in the room dimmed for a second—my interpretation of this was that God wanted me to stop my negativity.

That Sunday in church I still had this on my heart. During the silence I was wrestling with it-student loans were a recurring thought. God said to me ‘If I took care of the student loans, would you go?” I felt my heart leap a yes.

After worship I spoke with a dear friend, not specifically about what was on my heart, but just vaguely about God’s callings. She said something that struck me, something she said another couple in church always said (paraphrasing) “Pray about decreasing your will, to increase God’s will.” So this past week I have been trying not to focus on it. What I did do was print out the Evangelical Friends Missions short term missionary application and put it my planner so I could be reminded to pray about it but not worry over it.

Than last night (Friday night) I had a dream about Rwanda. In my dream I was on the way to the house I would be living in. Along the way I encountered:
-exotic looking HUGE lizards—everyone kept telling me to watch out for their heads (??)
-while traveling through the country (by foot) to get to my house I had to sleep in an open field-I was terrified of large bugs and lions. I sought comfort and guidance from the women in the group that was escorting me.
-I got to my destination and met the children-in my dream they were wary of me, the new teacher.

This dream touched on all my fears: lizards, scary animals/bugs, fear of kids not responding to me.

I pray for God’s guidance.

3/15/08 Journal Entry
My dreams continue. About three nights ago I had a a dream-I saw the face of Debby (a missionary in Rwanda with Evangelical Friends Missions). She was saying something to me…but when I woke up I couldn’t remember what she was saying.

Last night, I had a dream that a lady was talking to a group about missions. She had encyclopedias about different countries and I asked to read one on Rwanda. In my dream I heard God say “I need you to go.” I think I woke myself up at this point.

Also, two days ago when I was talking to God and thanking him for my family, friends, job etc He said to me “Don’t get too comfortable…”

Stay tuned: Next edition is on Liz’s resistance and God’s continual call!

No comments: